Think ghosts and goblins are scary? Think again! We’ve got some fun, sad and scary facts for you this Halloween.
Scary monsters show up on Halloween, but the workplace can be scary all year round. Here are 11 scary facts about the workplace:
- The average work desk is approximately 400 times dirtier than the average toilet seat. A recent study found there are in fact around 10 million bacteria that live on your office desk.
- People with sedentary jobs are twice as likely to die of heart disease than those with active jobs.
- Roughly 10,000 Japanese workers drop dead at their desks as the result of 60- to 70-hour work weeks. This phenomenon is called “karoshi.”
- 71% of American workers are disengaged at work.
- 58% of people say they trust strangers more than their own boss.
- Middle and upper level managers spend between 35% and 50% of their time in meetings. Now that’s scary!
- Fewer than 10 percent of workers meet minimum requirements for physical activity at their jobs.
- A workplace injury occurs in the United States about every 7 seconds.
- Younger workers are injured at twice the rate of older workers. They also are at higher risk for car accidents at work due to less driving experience, lower use of seatbelts, and being more distracted.
- Pack your lunch or visit the local salad bar? Guess what? The Food and Drug Administration says your food can legally contain maggots, pieces of bugs, mold, and rodent hairs and droppings.
- The average keyboard, chair and computer mouse harbor some 21,000 germs per square inch.